ALBUM REVIEW: Swedish House Mafia – Until Now
What’s to say about Swedish House Mafia’s ‘Until Now’ album that wasn’t already said about their Madison Square Garden performance last December?
A few edits here, a few edits there and you’re discussing almost the same thing–not to say the end result isn’t impressive.
‘Until Now,’ much like its predecessor, ‘Until One,’ features many of the private bootlegs the trio have been playing at the moment. Consider it a declassification of sorts.
Long-time fans will be familiar with most of these party-starters. The usual suspects include Axwell’s cut of ‘In My Mind,’ Mark Knight’s ‘You’ve Got The Love’ and, of course, The Usual Suspects ‘Walking Alone’ (from Miami 2 Ibiza. Clever!)
Some new nuggets do exist, but in the two years since their last album, the latest round of singles are coated in pop-music. The trio’s turnaround of Usher’s ‘Euphoria’ comes to mind. Other new music includes Steve Angello and Third Party ‘Lights’ along with Sebastian Ingrosso and Tommy Trash’s ‘Reload.’
Overall, you’re listening to some of the most professional bootlegs of the year, expertly designed for crowd appreciation, not the multilayer explosion-fests from a Soundcloud hero.
In terms of production, ‘Until Now’ is excellent. In terms of song selection, this is pretty pedestrian stuff. Yeah, some tweaks were made to ‘Atom’ and ‘Three Triangles,’ but c’mon, surprise us with something unexpected.
You may have to take it for what it is, a compilation of familiar bootlegs picked by the three amigos from Sweden.
It could be worse, they could have mixed together the next installment of ‘Now That’s What I call Music!‘
Best track: Steve Aoki feat. Wynter Gordon â€“ Ladi Dadi (Tommy Trash Remix) / Thomas Gold â€“ Sing2Me / Red Carpet â€“ Alright
Track list after the jump
1. Swedish House Mafia â€“ Greyhound
2. Hard Rock Sofa & Swanky Tunes â€“ Here We Go
3. Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl feat. Georgi Kay â€“ In My Mind (Axwell Mix)
4. Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso feat. Ryan Tedder â€“ Calling (Lose My Mind)
5. Nari & Milani â€“ Atom / Axwell, Ingrosso, Angello & Laidback Luke feat. Deborah Cox â€“ Leave The World Behind
6. Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife Party â€“ Antidote
7. Dirty South & Those Usual Suspects feat. Erik Hecht â€“ Walking Alone / Swedish House Mafia vs. Tinie Tempah â€“ Miami 2 Ibiza
8. Michael Calfan â€“ Resurrection (Axwell’s Recut Club Version) / Coldplay â€“ Paradise
9. Miike Snow â€“ The Wave (Thomas Gold Edit)
10. Steve Aoki feat. Wynter Gordon â€“ Ladi Dadi (Tommy Trash Remix) / Thomas Gold â€“ Sing2Me / Red Carpet â€“ Alright
11. Pendulum â€“ The Island (Steve Angello, AN21 & Max Vangeli Remix)
12. Steve Angello & Third Party â€“ Lights
13. Alesso â€“ Raise Your Head / Sandro Silva & Quintino â€“ Epic
14. Hardwell â€“ Three Triangles / Arty, Matisse & Sadko â€“ Trio / Adrian Lux â€“ Teenage Crime
15. Sebastian Ingrosso & Tommy Trash â€“ Reload
16. Usher â€“ Euphoria (Swedish House Mafia Extended Dub)
17. Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin â€“ Donâ€™t You Worry Child
18. M-3ox feat. Heidrun â€“ Beating Of My Heart (Matisse & Sadko Instrumental) / The Temper Trap â€“ Sweet Disposition
19. Coldplay vs. Swedish House Mafia â€“ Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
20. Florence + The Machine â€“ You Got The Love (Mark Knight Remix) / Swedish House Mafia â€“ One
21. Axwell â€“ Heart Is King / Swedish House Mafia â€“ Save The World (Knife Party Remix)
22 Swedish House Mafia â€“ Save The World / Ferry Corsten â€“ Punk (Arty Rock-n-Rolla Mix)